If you've seen other pictures of this highly popular quilt, you know that there is something missing in mine. See, I wasn't going to do this mystery quilt, because I still have only a finished top from last year's mystery. But then I went trough my stash and I found fabrics I thought would work and only needed to buy the background fabric. So I was in!
Except on the very first set of blocks assembled, my fabrics didn't have much contrast. I knew I would probably have to remake them, but not knowing the rest of the design, I waited.
|Yeah, that wasn't going to work.|
I wasn't sure how to quilt it until I saw Galaxy by Patty of Elm Street Quilts. She downsized the pattern to make it smaller and quilted in a spiral. I loved it! And imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, I copied her! My spiral is not as tight as Patty's; I did a 2" interval. I'm really pleased with how it came out.
This was my very first time using Aurifil Thread. I did their puzzle game at QuiltCon and won a small spool of thread, 28 weight. I've been wanting to try Aurifil, and the color I picked out of the prize bowl matched quite well. My machine loved it, so I just might end up buying more in the future. And now I know what all the fuss was about!
I didn't have enough of any of the original fabrics for binding, so I looked for a fabric to use from the vendors at QuiltCon. I chose a batik that I thought blended well; it came from Wingspan Crafts.