Saturday, July 16, 2016

Q3 Goals

I love the Finish Along that this year is being hosted by nine bloggers from around the globe.  I had 4 finished in Q2.  I am hoping I can do a little better than that in Q3.  My list is long, not because I think I will finish everything, but because I tend to work on 4 or 5 projects at a time and I never know what I'll be most inspired to work on.

General Projects and Gifts
1. Verona's quilt
I've been making a twin-sized I Spy quilt for my niece. I currently have 3 of 8 double rows completed. It's unlikely that I'll finish this project in Q3, but I want to have it done for her birthday in December.


2. sewing machine cover
I've been wanting a sewing machine cover for a while now.  I found a great tutorial by Vanessa of The Crafty Gemini, and I plan to use batik scraps.  

3. scrap fish
My college roommate is expecting a baby in late July/early August.  She's a marine biologist.  She made the most awesome knitted fish mobile for Munchkin when he was born.  Her baby quilt has to be fish.  I've been making “crumb fish” modeled after these using my leftover bits of I Spy fabrics. 

4. car trash bag
Several years ago, I made car trash bags for both my car and my husband's car (though I think at the time he was my boyfriend). His is still in good shape, but mine is falling apart at the seams. I have fabric picked out and will use the same pattern, which comes from the book One Yard Wonders.

5. produce bags
I'm not sure if this is fancy enough to qualify as a goal, but it sure is a UFO! Several Christmases ago, I made produce bags for my brother & his wife at their request.  I liked them, and bought the right material to make some for myself.  And that material has sat in a drawer every since.  I've got all I need for this, I just need to actually do it.

6. Heart strips for Orlando
I have a top made for the Quilts for Pulse drive from the Orlando Modern Quilt Guild; I need to get it layered, quilted, bound, and mailed off.


7. Penguin Pillow
My son is fond of penguins. Lorna from Sew Fresh Quilts had a free tutorial for a penguin block a while ago, and I plan to make one block and turn it into a pillow for his birthday. I have the fabric and pattern, just need the time.

8. Rainbow name tag
I've been wanting to make a sewing-themed name tag for myself or a while. I mostly want it for my Project Linus meetings, because frankly it drives me nuts that we don't wear name tags, but I also see wearing to shows and other potential quit-related events. I have a pile of scraps set aside for this project.

Minis
9. batik hexies
My hand sewing batik hexie project is progressing slowly. I have the top all together. I am now making extra hexies for the back and figuring out how to finish it.


10. Hazel
I've been wanting to do a Hazel the Hedgehog quilt for a while now.  I finally bought the pattern.  I have some fancy marbled fabrics that I bought years ago that I'm finally going to use, and I have already picked out all my lovely Kona solids to go with them. 


11. North Carolina
I don't normally do Row by Row, but one of the local shops in this area really highlighted North Carolina in their row and I love it. I bought the kit and plan to make it as a mini to add to the wall of minis in my office.


Kids/Project Linus
12. dinosaur
I found this great fabric in the craft bin at my (now former) library.  I plan to do some machine blanket stitch now that I have a machine that can do that! 

13. pink & gray strips
blocks are done, I just need to figure out my layout, because I decided I don't like the original layout

Option 1
Option 2
14. green, white, & brown mini jelly roll
Did I mention that I'm into strips right now?  This was a great deal on a mini jelly roll, and I'm using the Fat Quarter Shop's Jelly Roll Jam II tutorial. Top is now complete.

15. wizards/stars
My mom gave me this wizard fabric, and I bought some batik fabrics with stars to go with it. I have a plan for this, I just need to do it.

 

16. arrow
I modified this pattern to work with 2 inch squares.  I've got the arrow parts made.

17. Current leader/ender project
My current leader & ender project involves 2 1/2" squares that are I Spy scraps.  I'm not sure that this one is realistic to finish in this quarter, but sometimes I get in a piecing frenzy and I get farther than anticiated.


18, 19, & 20 These are all I Spy quilts using existing I Spy squares from swaps or from scraps I've cut into usable, standard sizes.  One will be paired with a green polka dot fabric, one with a purple solid, and one with a blue solid (not pictured).  I kit these and take them with me to Project Linus meetings so that I have something simple to work on.
green polka dot

3 1/2" squares with purple solid


2016 FAL

5 comments:

  1. OH, the wizards!! If you end up with any scraps, I'd love a 2.5" square with a dragon in it. (Are they that small??) And I adore your Pulse quilt. Beautiful work, as always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, you can have whatever is left when I'm done. I'm not sure of the scale but I think the dragon will fit in a 2 1/2" square. The wizard might not. I have some other dragons for you that I bought out of the sale room at Quilt Patch; couldn't remember if you had it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many lovely projects in this list Emily - I especially like the arrow, batik hexies and the strip heart quilt. Good luck with the finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 4 finishes in Q2? *gulp* I think you need to slow down and give us slow folks time to catch up =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those rainbow hexies are so pretty! Good luck on your list!

    ReplyDelete