Saturday, June 9, 2018

Elephants in the Garden

For the 2017 Rainbow Scrap Challenge, I chose the Elephant Parade pattern by Lorna from Sew Fresh Quilts.  When I was putting the top together, I realized that if I used all 7 rows, it would be huge.  So since pink isn't technically in the rainbow spectrum, I took out the pink row, put the pink elephant family together a different way, and added a floral stripe.  So now I present Elephants in the Garden.


The background for the elephants is Kona Fog.  The floral stripe came from my mom; she had a ton of it and I think was going to use if for curtains at some point?  Then she changed her mind and passed the fabric on to me.  The elephants are of course scraps.  Here is a close-up of the pink elephant family:


I used crosshatch quilting with a pink variegated thread.  It is backed with bright pink fleece.

Elephants was #11 on my list of Q2 goals for the globally hosted finish along.  Elephants is also on my list of projects to earn my PhD (projects half done) with Quilting Gail.  Elephants has now become two projects; this one, and the originally planned rainbow elephant parade.  Rainbow elephant parade is coming; it is layered and ready for quilting and will be given as a baby gift to a child expected in September.

 

7 comments:

  1. A very fun little quilt. Congrats on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous finish, and a great way to get two quilts from the blocks you made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such cute elephants! A great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a pretty quilt! Love those pink elephants!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great layout and a great way to use the pink elephants. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those elephants are so cute! This is one time we really are seeing pink elephants. Congrats on the finish- you'll have your PhD in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I especially love the different sized elephants. Lorna makes the most adorable patterns. Congratulations on your beautiful finish and thanks for participating in Finish-A-Long on behalf of the 2018 FAL hosts.

    ReplyDelete