Friday, December 21, 2018

Bumper2Bumper

Most fun traffic jam I've ever seen! 


The pattern is Bumper2Bumper by Lorna of Sew Fresh Quilts.  There are two different block sizes; this is the smaller.  The pattern calls for 7 rows of cars but I left out one row to add in the "beep beep!"  I used my Accuquilt alphabet die for the letters, but note that Lorna also has a pattern for traditionally pieced alphabet letters. 

This was my Rainbow Scrap Challenge block/project for 2018.  Rainbow Scrap Challenge is hosted by Anglea of So Scrappy and is one of my favorite annual challenges.  You pick whatever project/block you want to make.  Every month, there is a featured color and you make however many blocks you want (or even a whole quilt!) in that color.  The idea is that at the end of the year, you have a quilt's worth of blocks in rainbow colors.  It's super casual and there are no real deadlines, just lots of fun and encouragement.  This is my third year participating.  For the first time, I didn't put my blocks in rainbow order but mixed them up, and for this pattern I think that worked better.  This is my second year using one of Lorna's patterns for RSC and I will use one of hers next year, too!


The background is Kona Sky, the wheels are Kona Indigo and the lug nuts are Kona Medium Gray.  The cars themselves are scraps.  Since it's a scrappy quilt I used a scrappy binding, picking out solid colors that has good contrast to the sky.  I am pleased to have used up 5 different leftover bindings!


I found the most perfect fleece backing in my closet.  I love to back my quilts, especially my donation quilts, with fleece.  I do not use bating, just the top and the fleece.  It's soft, it makes a great weight quilt, and honestly it's cheaper than buying batting for all the donation quilts I make.  I've been told that the kids really like the soft fabric and that makes sense; my son does, too!  This one I'm pretty sure came from my friend Snow who gave me several larger cuts of fleece she wasn't going to use.  The problem is, with the really light background fabric, you can occasionally see parts of the darker cars showing through on the front.  It's not really noticeable and I decided that the perfect (and fun!) backing mattered more than an occasional glimpse in *just* the right light, so I used it anyway.  And I'm glad I did! This will be going to my local Project Linus chapter and imagine having fun cars on BOTH sides of your quilt!


Bumper2Bumper was #15 on my list of Q4 goals for the globally-hosted Finish Along.  It was also my One Monthly Goal (OMG) for the monthly goal-setting link-up hosted by Patty of Elm Street Quilts (goal setter #70). And since I've been working on it for all of 2018, it was a UFO that is now finished, so I'll link up with Tish for her next UFO busting party.





19 comments:

  1. What a cute quilt, and that backing fleece is perfect! Love the shot of the quilt on that (brand new?) car -- the colors work really well together, and that cute little face peeking over the quilt is pretty fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just so cute, love your Beep Beep addition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! This is fantastic. Something new for me to try - fleece backing without batting. Makes great sense, especially for a child. The car fleece couldn't be better Emily! I just love this. I started the RSC this year but set it aside half way through the year. Hope next year to pick it back up again. Haha - next year - that actually means next week, right?? Yikes!

    Great finish. What a lucky child to have this special quilt!

    needleandfoot@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great quilt! Even the backing fabric is perfect. Looks like it is already much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is SEW darling!! I mistakenly thought that the smiling boy was the recipient of the quilt. This will be just right for a Project Linus quilt, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A delightful quilt! Great idea to add the BEEP BEEP. Project Linus will love this jolly quilt. I've never used fleece as a backing because I imagined it would be difficult to quilt on the sewing machine. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute! A great idea for a year long project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the cars - I'm guessing the little lad is delighted!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an adorable quilt!

    I have not tried fleece for a backing. I worry about stretch and puckers when quilting, but your project looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love this quilt! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun quilt! I like your idea of backing quilts with fleece, especially quilts for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is the cutest quilt! Lorna's patterns never disappoint. I really like your choice in lettering too. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is really super! A great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This turned out so cute! Its been fun following along this year and watching all the little cars come together. I can't wait to see which of Lorna's patterns you land on for next year. She has so many great ones!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a super cute quilt -- love the "Beep Beep"

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another cute one! I like the addition of the words. I'm going to have to watch for a fleece sale. I have lots of donation quilts that need quilting this year.

    ReplyDelete