Thursday, June 20, 2019

Quilt Repair and Throwback Thursday

My dad alternates two different quilts on his bed.  One is the Carolina Dancing quilt I made a few years ago from Carole's Scrap Dance Tango quilt along.  The other was made at an unknown date by his mother, my grandmother Mildred, now deceased.


When I stayed with Dad for 2 weeks in February, my quilt was on the bed but he got down Grandmother's quilt at one point to show me a few areas that needed mending.  I was able to fix the areas without problem, but I noticed that the binding was in really bad shape and told him I thought it needed to be replaced.

fraying binding
Then came the fun part (sarcasm)--ripping out the original binding.  I was originally considering just cutting off the original binding and adding the new one, but Carole of From My Carolina Home, who does some amazing painstaking quilt repairs, convinced me that I was better off ripping it out.

pile of binding once it was all removed

It took multiple movies and questionable TV on Netflix to get remove the binding.  You can see how torn it was in parts.


In some areas, you could see how faded the fabrics had gotten by contrast with the fabric hidden away in the binding.

Can you see the difference in the faded and none-faded fabrics?














We agreed that my sister-in-law Heather, who is an interior designer and has the best color sense of all of us, pick out a solid binding.  I told her my preferred brand of solids and let her loose.  I had been thinking a dark yellow, something dark enough that it was clear we didn't try to match the original, but still with the same feel.  Heather came back with two choices--Kona Regatta (a medium-to-dark blue) or Kona Curry, a dark yellow.  I ordered both before my dad arrived in North Carolina for his annual visit.  He drives across country every year, so he was able to bring the full-sized quilt with him.  Heather's first choice was the blue but dad and I both liked the yellow better, so we used Kona Curry.


I just barely finished it before Dad left to drive back to Oregon.  He wasn't in a hurry to take it with him, but I didn't want to store it for a year! We took photos in the front yard in a hurry before heading to breakfast at Happy's Grill, where we took pictures of the finished tea cozy


So what's with the Throwback Thursday reference in the title?  I found a picture of me as a baby with this same quilt as the backdrop!!!  This is circa 1978:

I was thrilled to be able to repair a quilt of my grandmother's, especially knowing it was made before I was born.  With a new binding, it should have a good bit of use out of it.  I can only guess that Grandma had the same philosophy of quilts that I do--they are meant to be used!



11 comments:

  1. I can imagine that ripping that binding wasn't really much fun. Loved your reference to questionable tv on Netflix. There's definitely enough of that on there! How cool that you got the quilt repaired so your dad could take it back with him. Fun to see that picture of you as a tyke with the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great that you could repair a well loved quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a cool picture featuring this quilt! I have a quilt that's a well-loved picnic quilt that my bunnies have nibbled on that I'm considering replacing the binding on but I am definitely leaning towards cutting off the binding and sewing on a new one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that your family still uses a quilt from your grandmother. I had to do the same thing with one of my grandmother's - the binding was shredded. What a chore! Well worth it, because my niece can cuddle under something that her mom and I loved from our Gramma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so great to help preserve quilts so they can be loved by the next generation! Thanks for stopping by, Patricia! You are showing up as a no rely blogger so I'm replying here.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful job, you have extended the life of the quilt for many more years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really love your choice of binding. In fact, I think that is a great solid color, one I will have to add to my stash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tami! It is a great yellow, not too bright, with just a hint of brown. My sister-in-law picked it out and I think it was a fantastic choice! You are showing up as a no reply blogger so I'm replying here.

      Delete
  7. Great story and great repair, Emily! Love the photo of you as a toddler + quilt! It was worth it to remove the whole binding and start over. Just in the nick of time, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is so precious to repair a quilt, especially one that holds so many family memories. The picture of you in front of the quilt is so cute! Good for you for taking the time to unstitch it and putting on a new binding.

    ReplyDelete