Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Tea Cozy & Pillowcases (Christmas presents #3)

My mom is the only person in my family who reads my blog, so I had to wait until after Christmas to post her presents.  I was in a hurry on these, as the others went in the same package (dad & brother live in the same city) and they are farther away so I always assume mail will take longer.  Which meant mom's gifts were made last--but they still made it in time!


I started with a tea cozy.  Mom saw this one that I made my dad earlier this year and she told me that lately, she's been making tea by the pot as opposed to by the cup, and she would like a cozy to go with a teapot that apparently I bought her years ago but don't remember.  I picked out a few different fabric options and asked her to pick. This one won by a mile.  I love that it has actual tea pots and tea cups on it!  Although it does feel a bit like cheating--she sent me this fabric several years ago!

I used the same template that I used for my dad's, which actually came from tracing his old one--and it turns out that my mom traded with another vendor for that original cozy at a craft fair *years* ago, so I guess everything comes full circle! The lining fabric is teacups, also given to me by mom.  I used Bosal double-sided-fusible foam stabilizer for the middle--it holds its shape nicely. It's just straight-line grid quilting and I used pre-made bias binding for the bottom--and the green matches my mom's teapot!  Score!  I do wish I had added a loop at the top as I think it gives a more finished look. 


Back in June, she saw the pillowcases I made myself and mentioned that pillowcases would be a good Christmas gift for her.  Preferably purple florals.  I didn't think I had anything that matched that description in my stash but I did!  So I made two pillowcases. The bands are the same fabric so that they coordinate; if you use them together they will look like they belong together even though they are different fabrics. The second fabric is pink rather than purple but I really like it and think she will, too.


I love the Roll It Up instructions from the Million Pillowcase Challenge and that's what I use every time I make a pillowcase.  I'm lucky mom reads the blog and tells me what she wants me to make--sure made making presents easy this year!

This is the last of the homemade presents from this year--no mommy-made gifts for my son though we did make a pillow together that we finished just before Christmas--pictures coming soon.

6 comments:

  1. Cute tea cozy, Emily! Love that she loved the same fabric she gave you previously. Nice that you had some hand made gifts for your Mom for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Handmade gifts are the best, and I'm sure your mom will enjoy those you made for her for years to come. Fun that the fabric you used was chosen by her. I hope that you can sit back and enjoy a cup of tea now that your Christmas projects are done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the tea cozy!! Would you happen to know the width and height? I would love to make one for a friend in England!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the cutest fabric, and totally perfect for the tea cozy. I hope your family loved all their gifts and you had a wonderful Christmas. Wishing you and your mom many happy tea parties.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the tea cozy, what a great print and I love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great gifts for your Mother. It's nice to make something that you know they will use.

    ReplyDelete