Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Floral Strips UFO turned Butterfly Quilt

I recently found a UFO that was not in my count.  When I first started quilting, I was in a quilt shop in Kansas on a visit to my mom and found these three floral fabrics, all the same print but different colors.  I drew up a design on graph paper, cut some strips, and sewed up 2 strips sets.  And there it sat.  I used the fabric I had purchased as background years ago as backing, I moved the un-cut yardage into their designated color bins of my stash, and I thought I gave away the cut strips and strips sets.  Not so, apparently.

 

I'm trying to make some quick finishes for my guild's philanthropy project and I had previously sorted through my I Spy fabrics and pulled out lots of butterfly squares, planning to use them in a child's quilt.  Since the fabric strips from my long-forgotten UFO were floral, I figured I could combine them.  So the strips I had already cut to 3" but that were fraying due to that being probably 20 years ago got trimmed to 2 1/2" and I cut apart the strips sets to use those as well.  I used the blue and green strips to frame 20 of my butterfly I Spy squares, then alternated blue and green in the layout.

 

I had less of the purple but there was enough for binding.  It's quilted with a diagonal cross-hatch.  The back has some flannel remnants that I pieced together to make it big enough. 


 

I'm not sure of the exact date of this project but the fabric has 1998 on the salvage and I would have guessed I was still in college, so late 90s fits. Even though this was on my original list for my PhD (projects half done) with Quilting Gail, the fact that I believe I started this at least 20 years ago should qualify it, even though this is now a completely different project.  But different or not, it's done!

This is my 41st finish for the year, moving me close to my goal of finishing 52 projects in 2020.  This is also one of the three donation quilts needed toward my OMG with Patty of Elm Street Quilts.


8 comments:

  1. Great finish, Em! I love butterfly quilts, as does the world!!! 41?!! Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a great quilt and a great finish. Congrats on getting it done AND continuing to stitch along to your PhD and goal of 52 in a year (that is a alot)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is a lot of finishes for one year! Great project, someone will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've almost met your goal! This quilt is so pretty with its soft colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely finish, Emily!!! I LOVE how you are using up bits and pieces!
    There is NO rule about which UFOs you need to complete for your PHD. And if you change what something was suppose to be and make it something different - that's perfectly fine. (Look at my latest UFO - I couldn't remember what it was suppose to be! :-)
    You are almost to your goal!
    Happy Quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeez!! Look at you go Emily. 52 projects is a lofty goal and you are right there. That is amazing. Especially considering the world we have lived in all year. This is a sweet quilt. Soft colors and pretty butterflies. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute! What a great way to use up old pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great redo with those fabrics! The final quilt turned out beautifully. The butterfly prints are fun (I have lots of those in my stash to be used at some later date for a Beautiful Butterfly quilt). Congrats on 41 finishes! That's really, really amazing. Good luck with making your goal of 52.

    ReplyDelete