Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Gobble Gobble

Welcome to my second Island Batik Ambassador project for July!  We were tasked with planning ahead for holidays that fall at the end of the year.  I chose to interpret "end of the year" broadly and decided on three projects to decorate my front door, one each for Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. This week, Thanksgiving!


Now you can see why this post is titled "Gobble Gobble"!  This fun turkey is based on a pattern by Island Batik Ambassador alumni Vicki of Vicki's Crafts & Quilting.  I thought the harvest-based fabrics from Kathy Engle's Napa Valley collection would work great for a holiday that celebrates the fruits of harvest.  Napa Valley features grapes, corn, pumpkins, and wheat.  The dark green border & binding are a dark green from the Foundations collection, everything else is from Napa Valley.  Even the back, where I used the corn print.  

 

Corn on the back

Want to make your own turkey?  You can find the pattern in Vicki's etsy shop.  It's for a table runner but I just made one turkey.  She's got other fun table runner patterns, too. 

The products featured in this post were given to me by Island Batik, Schmetz, Hobbs, and Aurifil. 

I used three different colors of Aurifil 50 weight thread for the applique: 2785 Very Dark Navy (feathers), 1135 Pale Yellow (beak), and 2340 Cafe au Lait (body). I also used the Cafe au Lait for the cross hatch quilting.  Everything was stitched with a Schmetz needle, the only needles I use!  The batting is Hobbs 80/20.

First time using my fusible applique mat!

I've been wanting a turkey on the door for Thanksgiving for several years, so I'm glad to have been given the push to finally make one.  And to have holiday decorations done early is great because now I won't need to think about it, just hang the turkey on the door.  You can see the Halloween decor I made here.  Be sure to check back later this month to see what I made for Christmas!



6 comments:

  1. Fabulous!! So fun to see how you interpret my pattern to fit your needs Emily!! Nice work indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely wonderful. It will look great on your door!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute, and will look great on your door! Nice finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such and adorable turkey for your door! Great job on #2 for the month...one more coming??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE gobble gobble!!! You will be so happy to just hang it on your door at Thanksgiving!
    I'm looking forward to #3!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute...I could just eat him up :-p

    ReplyDelete