Monday, January 24, 2022

Round Robin #2 - Diamonds

Welcome to round 2 of the Stay at Home Round Robin!  This week it's my turn to pick what we add, and I chose Diamonds!

 

Normally, I start with a picture of my completed round but today I want to walk you through my thought/design process for this round.  After I finished the curves, I thought about what to do for diamonds.  While playing around, I realized that what I really wanted to do was turn what I had so far on point.

Would that really count as a diamond, though?  I searched pinterest for "diamond quilts" and a lot of what I saw did indeed have square-in-a-square blocks on point.  It also seems that geometrically speaking, squares are widely considered to meet the definition of a diamond.  So I was leaning toward doing what I wanted and setting my block on point for the diamond round. Then, while putting fabric for this project back in its bin, I noticed one of the fabrics in the Fancy Feathers line essentially had a diamond pattern.  

 


Quick mathematical calculations confirmed that there was enough to use this diamond-patterned fabric as the setting triangles to put what I had on point.  Bingo!  So, whether you consider what I had so far as now a diamond or the diamonds in the fabric, here is my diamond round.  And it all goes to show you that the point of this is to have fun and it's OK to be creative and perhaps push what a round could include a little.

 


If you are sewing along, link up your diamond round or whatever progress you have so far.  And be sure to check out the other hosts and see what they did with diamonds!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

12 comments:

  1. Emily that fabric!! So pretty and perfect for your block. Thanks for the ideas . . . just finished my curves yesterday, so I have to do some thinking on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diamonds may be a girl's best friend, but SEW not this quilter's best friend!! Given the fact that you were thinking "outside the box" for your definition of diamonds, maybe I will, too. Thanks for helping me avoid a panic attack, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! That's the beauty of this round robin....WE get to decide what we do. ☺ I like that you put it on point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is really clever, Emily! The fabric really makes the center block and first border shine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Emily! Brilliant! There are millions of baseball fans all over the world that definitely support your theory that a square is, indeed, a diamond on point. How cool that the fabric has a diamond shaped pattern. Thanks for the linky party!! I can't wait to see what the next round brings! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the diamond fabric, and I love that it is put on point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the diamond theme...a quilt's best friend! I will get to it...working on a few deadlines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your thought process and the on-point diamond block! I believe it should be our interpretation of the theme, and I like yours! Maybe I'll get finished in time to link up as I missed last week's linky! Love that diamond fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like what you did with your project to make it a diamond shape! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Emily putting your block on point truly makes it a pretty diamond. I really enjoyed reading about your process and drooling over your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete