Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Earth Stars

As the school year wraps up, that means it is time to finish up the teacher quilts in time to gift on the last day of school.  This year I am making four teacher quilts for Fire Monkey's teachers: his two classroom teachers (dual language school, so one English and one Spanish teacher) and the two before-school teachers, both who have been there since he was in Kindergarten. I finished the first three back in March with Island Batik's It's All Up to You challenge, which left only Ms. O's quilt to finish.


According to Fire Monkey, Ms. O's favorite color is Brown.  And Green.  Earth Colors.  Well, I'm not really an Earth Colors gal, but I was determined to give Ms. O a quilt she will like.  I went through all my Island Batik scraps and pulled out everything green or brown, and I was pretty broad with what I considered in the brown family.  I found more than I expected.  


I chose a pattern that I had made before, also in Island Batik fabrics but tropical colors.  The pattern is Star Blossoms from the book Scrap-Basket Beauties by Kim Brackett. It is designed for 2 1/2" strips and works great as a scrappy quilt.  I was able to cut the whole thing with my Accuquilt Go! cutter.  I used the basic Wicker for the background and Seaweed print in bright green for the star centers, and the rest were scraps and leftovers.  The binding is Walnut.  I call this one Earth Stars.  

Tropical Stars, August 2019

I'm relieved to have all the quilts done.  I'm almost done with labels, and then I'll be ready to gift!  I do really enjoy making them each year, and am glad Fire Monkey is not sick of me doing this yet!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a lot of work! I'm sure all the teachers will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a terrific version of Star Blossoms. I am often amazed at what scraps I do have and these worked out perfectly. Hooray on being nearly done with this years crop of teacher quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful finish! Making teacher quilts can be fun, if you plan well. One year I had 7 to finish. Never again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so far behind on blog reading, so I've just seen this! What pretty colors and a great design! I'm just impressed that you continue to do teacher quilts each year! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete