Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Red Sparkle

Two weeks ago, my family went to the local minor league baseball game.  While there, we ran into the principal of Fire Monkey's school, Ms. L, who was there with her daughters.  Seeing Ms. L reminded me that I still hadn't posted two of last school year's teacher quilts, including the one for Ms. L!

If you don't know what I mean by Teacher Quilts, every year I make quilts for my son's teachers.  My son, called Fire Monkey on the blog, is currently 10 years old and just finished 4th grade.  He is in a dual language school, so he has two teachers each year, one for English (and social studies and health) and one for Spanish (and math and science).  I've also done quilts for the Specials teachers like Art, PE, & Music, knowing that those teachers often get overlooked.  Fire Monkey asks each teacher their favorite color at the start of the school year, I get busy sewing, and we gift them during the last week of school.

a peak at the backing

We were at an event at the school at the beginning of last year and got to talking to Ms. L, who is always at every school event.  I realized she hadn't yet gotten a quilt so we added her to the list for the 2023-24 school year.  Fire Monkey was able to find out a few weeks later that Ms. L's favorite color is red. Truth be told, I struggle with red quilts.  I think it's because I like scrappy, and there just aren't that many shades of red.  Too light and it's pink.  Too dark and it doesn't feel like red anymore either.

block as created for SAHRR 2024

I struggled with what to make and this was the last one/last pattern I decided on this year.  Finally I picked a block I designed for my SAHRR that I really liked.  I set it on point for visual interest.  I cut everything with my Accuquilt.

I used four fabrics, all from Island Batik.  The background is Milkshake, the light triangles are Shell, the main red is a red blender that I don't know the name of, and there's a bit of solid black.  I'm happy with how it turned out!

2 comments:

  1. Red is hard to do scrappy, but you found a wonderful solution to that problem. It's a gorgeous quilt. I only have one more teacher quilt to make and that's for Grad Girl's PhD advisor. Which considering that, I should really get started on it as they take me forever! You do so well to finish them in the school year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shades of red is so much harder than it should be. Great job on this beauty...I think it works perfectly as a red quilt. Who is the team a feeder team for? I don't follow baseball as much as I did, but I used to go to Reading Phillies when I was young!

    ReplyDelete