Monday, March 27, 2017

Meadow Mystery

I completed my Meadow Mystery quilt!  This was a mystery quilt along designed and hosted by the wonderful Cheryl of Meadow Mist Designs.  I was lucky enough to meet Cheryl at QuiltCon, but I didn't think to get a picture.

If you've seen other pictures of this highly popular quilt, you know that there is something missing in mine.  See, I wasn't going to do this mystery quilt, because I still have only a finished top from last year's mystery.  But then I went trough my stash and I found fabrics I thought would work and only needed to buy the background fabric.  So I was in!

Except on the very first set of blocks assembled, my fabrics didn't have much contrast.  I knew I would probably have to remake them, but not knowing the rest of the design, I waited.
Yeah, that wasn't going to work.
Once I was done with all the blocks and knew the layout, I went to remake the problematic blocks with a different fabric combination.  But since I used stash, I had very little leftover.  I played around with a few different alternative layouts, but decided that my favorite was the original pattern minus the outside part, which I am calling the secondary pattern.  (It's not a secondary pattern in the traditional sense.) I had *barely* enough background to make it, but since it's a batik with a fair amount of movement, you can't tell that some of the background blocks are pieced.

I wasn't sure how to quilt it until I saw Galaxy by Patty of Elm Street Quilts.  She downsized the pattern to make it smaller and quilted in a spiral.  I loved it!  And imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, I copied her!  My spiral is not as tight as Patty's; I did a 2" interval.  I'm really pleased with how it came out.

This was my very first time using Aurifil Thread.  I did their puzzle game at QuiltCon and won a small spool of thread, 28 weight.  I've been wanting to try Aurifil, and the color I picked out of the prize bowl matched quite well. My machine loved it, so I just might end up buying more in the future.  And now I know what all the fuss was about!

I didn't have enough of any of the original fabrics for binding, so I looked for a fabric to use from the vendors at QuiltCon.  I chose a batik that I thought blended well; it came from Wingspan Crafts.
Finishing my Meadow Mystery was my March goal for OMG hosted by Patty of Elm Street Quilts--yup, same as the inspiration for the quilting!  This was also goal #5 on my list of Q1 goals for the globally hosted finish along.

Elm Street Quilts


  1. Emily, it's beautiful! Love the batiks! Glad to hear you liked the 28 wt thread. Now you have some blocks for the start of another project!

  2. Your pretty quilt reminds me of sparkly gemstones. Nice work.

  3. Emily, this is beautiful! I really like the quilt with the extra negative space. The batik you used in the quilt make me think of sparkling gemstones, like an opal. Congrats on your finish :)

  4. this is beautiful! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congratulations on your finish.

  5. Great job making the design work for you!

  6. Love your Meadow Mystery quilt, the batiks were a perfect choice.

  7. Great and thrifty finish! Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2017 global FAL hosts.