Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Quilters Meet & Greet Blog Hop

I'm excited to be a part of the Quilters Meet & Greet Blog Hop, spearheaded by Benita from Benita Skinner's Creative Space/Victoriana Quilt Designs. Benita has arranged for some amazing prizes and the fun lasts all month long! Be sure to visit her page to get the full list of participating bloggers.  On each blog, you get a chance to enter the grand prize drawing! (Scroll down for your chance here.)

https://benitaskinner.blogspot.com/2019/09/2019-online-quilters-meet-greet.html

For those of you who are new here, Welcome!  I'm Emily.  I've been quilting since fall 1997 and started blogging in 2014 as a way of recording what I made-the photo album I kept previous became hard to keep up with after my son was born.  Outside quilting, I'm a librarian living in Charlotte, North Carolina with my Husband, Son (referred to as Fire Monkey) and our dog Ivy.


When Benita asked us each to choose one quilt, I chose Bumper2Bumper, my Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilt for 2018.  I love scrappy quilts, I love kids quilts, and I love blocks that are a recognizable animal or object, so this seemed like a good quilt to highlight some of those things. This is a pattern by Lorna of Sew Fresh Quilts; I also used one of her patterns for my 2017 Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilt: Rainbow Elephant Parade.


I also love I Spy quilts.  I've made many, but my very first I Spy quilt is one I started for my son before he was born. It's twin-sized and is on his bed.  I then made one for my niece, and my mom loved it so much she asked for one!  I was able to take it to her in January.  Next up is one for our bed--I anticipate 306 I Spy squares!


I Spy fabrics are a recent love of mine, but my first love with fabrics are batiks.  I've always been taken by the nuance of colors and subtle changes of batiks.  This year, I am honored to be an Island Batik ambassador.  You can see all of my Island Batik projects under the tab at the top, but I'd like to highlight the project closest to my heart.  This is Oklahoma Dogwood, adapted from a pattern that my paternal grandmother saved.  With a blog named "The Darling Dogwood," you know I had to make a Dogwood quilt!


In addition to batiks and I Spy fabrics, I love Kona solids and I keep track of which colors I've used in projects (also a tab at the top). 

That's enough about me for now!  Check out all the other blogs featured on the Quilters Meet & Greet blog hop and I do hope you like what see here and come back.  Thanks for visiting!

https://www.victorianaquiltdesigns.com/fabric/


28 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a bunch of I Spy blocks, but how fun! Lovely photo of your mom too! Fun to read this post, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilts are so fun and colorful! that car quilt is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun quilts! I love that your mother wanted an I Spy Quilt. They are wonderful and I am sure each of the recipients finds endless amusement in it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the I Spy, that had to be fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful quilts and so nice to meet you! If I wasn't a teacher my second choice of career would be librarian (how fantastic to spend all day surrounded by books!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is ew you Emily. I love all your quilts. Every thing you do shows your love of family. Lucky you to have such focus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilts are always so nice. I also love I Spy fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Danice! I Spy fabrics are so much fun! You are showing up as a no reply blogger so I'm replying here.

      Delete
  8. I love picture quilts. My great nephews would love your cars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The car patter is from Lorna of Sew Fresh Quilts. I love Lorna's patterns! She has a pick-up truck as well. You are showing up as a no-reply blogger.

      Delete
  9. Love your quilts! I know there is a good story behind the Fire Monkey nickname!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always have such fun projects in the works. Has Fire Monkey gotten to the point that he's asking for you to make something for himself, friends, teachers?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I Spy quilts are such fun -- both for the recipient and also for the quiltmaker who gets to collect novelty fabrics (sounds better than acquire/accumulate ) and find interest ways to set them. Nice to see you on this year's blog hop. Hope the rainfall from Dorian isn't too drenching for you inland.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Emily! I am Jayne from the Meet and Greet parade. I hope you are safe in NC, this morning! That Dorian sounds vicious! It is fun seeing your I-Spy quilts. I made one over 25 years ago for my nephew. My daughter who was about 8 at the time helped me. It was a game for her to find something interesting in our fabric that could be incorporated into the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow.. I haven't ever made an I Spy quilt... well maybe someday... Batiks are a favorite of mine as well. Enjoy the hop!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all of the quilts you have shown but the BEEP Beep is my favorite...love love

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would have chosen Beep, Beep, too! I love words on quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Emily, it's great to meet you. Your quilts are so colourful and cheerful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE your Mom's eye spy quilt!! Hadn't seen that one before. Thanks for sharing with the Meet and Greet!

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks for sharing your handiwork. I have not made many solid color quilts, but I have seen several patterns lately that really draw me in. Will add one to my list soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What fun quilts!! I've made a few I Spy quilts.. are such fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aw, that car quilt is adorable, as is the elephant one. I, too, have loved batiks for a very long time, and I have quite the collection, now augmented by being an IB ambassador too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your dogwood quilt and yes of course you had to make a quilt with that name. I also think it is a wonderful thing that one eye spy quilt led to another and another as people kept asking you for them!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am sure kids love the beep quilt it is so cute.

    ReplyDelete