Monday, January 18, 2021

Round Robin Round #1--Piano Keys

It's week two and border one of the Stay At Home Round Robin, the mastermind of Gail of Quilting Gail and co-hosted by a small group of bloggers.  This week it was up to Chris at Chrisknitssews to choose what we would use for our first border.  The choice?  Piano Keys!

I decided to have my piano keys be light in the centers and get darker as they moved outward.  Since my starting block was 10" square, I used 5 strips total of 2 1/2" strips.  These are 3 1/2" long so they are rectangular, like piano keys.  My progression wouldn't really work around the corners, though, so I decided that I would use the next round's theme as cornerstones.  I don't like quilts that get too big and with 7 rounds of borders, one for each of the hosts, I was worried it might get bigger than I like working with.  So in the picture above, the top borders aren't actually sewn in.  You'll have to wait until next week to see it completely.

Have you decided to play along?  This is a pretty relaxed sew along and the rules are far from rigid, as you can see by the fact that it's week two and I'm already playing with them, bending them a bit :)  If you do decide to play along, link up your piano key borders with Chris. And here's the schedule for the future rounds:

Have more questions?  Gail has lots of answers that you can find here.  

 

9 comments:

  1. The piano keys look great with your bear, Emily!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily! Love the fabrics you chose for your piano keys. Those blues are divine. I can't wait to see what you add in the corners! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blues are singing in your border along with that center block - so pretty! You were smart to start with a smaller block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great version and I love the way this is looking. Off to work on my ideas now and see where I land!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily I do like that gradient effect in your piano key border. Now I can’t wait until next week to see your cornerstone blocks 😉

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect idea!! I am with you on the small, for me it's more likely to get finished this year if it's small! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a brilliant idea!!!! I can't wait to see your cornerstone blocks next week!!! And going from light to dark will make this quilt amazing! Of course, since it's blue ... it will be fantastic! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great choice of blues to go around him

    ReplyDelete