Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Messenger Bag

Regular readers know that for almost two years now, I've been obsessed with By Annie bags.  I think it's because before I discovered her patterns, I could not sew bags, and now that I realize I can, I want to sew ALL the bags.  One of the ones I've wanted to make is a messenger bag.  And here it is!


This is the Multi-Tasking Messenger Bag from Annie's Craftsy class.  She no longer sells that pattern separately, but my understanding is that MJ's Messenger Bag (which offers 2 sizes) is essentially the same bag. This is the non-quilted version, though you can quilt the fabric first, before constructing the bag.


This was my first time making significant modifications to an Annie pattern and I so pleased that it worked out!  Specifically, I added an inch each to the length and height of the bag so it would fit my laptop.  And it fits perfectly!  I love the design, there is extra padding in the laptop area. 

You can't tell from the photo, but this part is extra padded

My fabrics are all from stash/scrap, the main fabric is leftover from an extra-wide back.  I love it so much!  Now I just need to be able to attend in-person conferences again, which is one of the only times I walk around with my laptop.  I do think I'll find more occasions to use this messenger bag now that I have it.


6 comments:

  1. I am super impressed with your bag making skills these days! And the fabric is so very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have really gotten into the bag making - I love it! This is a great bag, Emily. I'm sure it will get lots of use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bag looks fantastic! I like how you were able to alter it to fit your needs! Love the fabrics you chose! I'm sure you'll get good use of the bag!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can never have enough bags! Love your colors & great use of scraps/stash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. From a self-proclaimed "rubbish" to someone who makes gorgeous bags, it has been a remarkable journey, Emily!!! Love the colors and the fine workmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great bag, Emily! I made one of Annie's small cross body purses once and it's about worn out. I need to make another! I love the fabrics you chose!

    ReplyDelete