Saturday, May 25, 2019

Guitars for a baby boy

I have two coworkers (married to each other) who told us last fall that they were expecting their first child in May.  Well, like many quilters,  as soon as I hear, "I'm pregnant!" I think, "I get to make a quilt!" I knew immediately what pattern I wanted to use.  Dad is a classical guitarist and there is a fabulous guitar pattern in the book Fat Quarter Baby by It's Sew Emma.  All the patterns in the book are baby names; this one is Kevin.


Baby Dante was born two weeks ago and I was able to visit yesterday to take him his quilt--and some dinner for mom & dad.  Dad the guitarist wasn't there but Mom's face lit up when she realized it was guitars, though she did warn me that Dad may use it more than Dante!


I put the fabrics together; this was not a bundle.  I used circles/dots as the unifying element.  This blue print was a fat quarter and I didn't get the selvage edge, so I have no idea what it was. 

The white with multi colored dots is from the line Confetti by Me & My Sister designs.  I originally bought a lime green dot print from the same line, but I had a lot of trouble when it came time to pick a background fabric.  So I switched the lime for a Kaffe Fassett spot print I had in my stash. The dots in the Kaffe print are a really good mach for Kona Honey Dew, which I used for the background.  The fret boards are a gray polka dot I already had-not sure what it was but I'm pretty sure it's by Moda.


The original pattern has a border of a different fabric.  I bought a yellow music print to use but once I had the guitars pieced, I didn't like the music with it.  So I added more Honey Dew instead and put the music notes on the back.


It wasn't quite big enough so I added a scrap of dog fabric as Dante joins two fur-babies in the household, and a scrap of train fabric because, frankly, it was the right size and what kid doesn't like trains?


Dante's gender reveal: at our annual work holiday party in December, we were all lined up to take a mandatory group photo.  A staff member took the picture so he put the camera on a timer so he could run into the photo.  As he was getting in place, mom-to-be called out, "Everyone say 'it's a boy!'"  The picture captured everyone's reactions.  It is the most genuinely gleeful staff photo I've ever seen.


I'm hoping this will be well loved for years to come!  Maybe Dante will be able to wrestle it away from his Dad!  This quilt was on my list of projects needed for my PhD (Projects Half Done) with Quilting Gail and was #4 on my list of Q2 finish along goals.


9 comments:

  1. What a fun quilt! Hopefully Dante will share with Dad during cuddle time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect gift for them! It turned out great !

    ReplyDelete
  3. The perfect quilt for them, so darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever design choice for them, perfect. You made a great job of the quilt, and the perfect fabrics too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Music, guitars and dots! This is one lucky baby and one great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This little quilt is perfect for this family. I love the dot theme. I've never heard of a gender reveal done quite like that. I bet that picture is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dante is going to love his quilt! I love that the guitars are so appropriate for his family, and are not one bit juvenile; it could be with him into adulthood. The fabrics are terrific, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun finish! Congrats on your Q2 finish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the pattern, but have been unable to find it...

    ReplyDelete