Thursday, December 31, 2020

Goodbye 2020, Hello 2021

For the past few years, Yvonne of Quilting Jet Girl has hosted a linky party for goal-setting prior to the new year.  I've enjoyed participating and start by looking back at the goals I set a year ago.

 

On New Year's Eve prior to the start of 2020, I of course had no idea the year that would be ahead of me and the rest of the world.  2020 has been, in a word, challenging. I'm one of the lucky ones in that my job has remained safe (so far) and I was able to largely work from home.  My quilting time did not really change--what I gained in no longer having a commute I lost in more housework and a young kid who was home all.the.time. and wanted to be entertained. The flip side, though, is that since sewing is my stress relief and I desperately needed stress relief, I did make getting into the sewing room a priority.  

2020 Goals --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started with a BHAG, or Big Hairy Audacious Goal, a concept from Jim Collins' book Built to Last.
 
Big Hairy Audacious Goal:  Complete 52 Projects
I did it!  I didn't think I'd make it, but I did!  I decided early on that masks would go on my list as project #52, and I have all other 51 slots in my tracking document filled in.  I also have one finish about 10 minutes away from completion and think I will finish it with my one remaining day of the year.  Keep in mind, a lot of the quilts I make are smaller kids' quilts, and many of the 52 are not quilts at all--at least two are felt food I made with my son.  I had plans to recap my projects by type over the last week of the year but that's not going to happen.  Also, that wasn't in the written part of the goal so it doesn't count as unsuccessful :) 
 
Goal: 20 Donation Quilts
Made it!  I wasn't sure about this one but I have been tracking all my quilts for the year, including recipients, and I have 20 donations!  Most will go to Levine Children's Hospital.  Eight went to Friendship Trays for the children who get meals through them and was my guild's charity project this year.  Two went to girls who were rescued from human trafficking and was sent to Bernie for Merciful Quilts.  (I sent 2 to Bernie but one was from 2019.)
 
Wildflowers donated to Merciful Quilts

 
Goal: Find Alternative to Project Linus
Well, sort of.  I've chosen Levine Children's Hospital from the list of places that Project Linus was previously providing quilts for.  But with all the craziness that has been this year, I haven't actually contacted them to schedule a drop-off, though I do have the information for who to contact.  I have a stack of 20 quilts that need to get taken to them (some are from 2019).  

Goal: In-Person Quilting Community
Cue the laughing!  How naive I was!  In person!  I joined the Charlotte Modern Quilt Guild chapter in January.  I attended two in-person meetings before the world turned upside down.  My guild pivoted quickly to zoom meetings and I did manage to stay involved, but I didn't quite get the in-person experience I was hoping for.
 
Goal: Online Quilting Community
Success!  I specifically wanted to join a few blog hops and I ended up being involved with five blog hops, not including those that are part of my Island Batik ambassador responsibilities.  I also have started actively using Pinterest for quilty things.  While both those were new, I continued to participate in QALs and general blog-following.


my project from the Dust Off a Book blog hop

Goal: Learn EQ8
I'm going to call this moderately successful.  I joined Kari Schell's Tech Know Quilters and while I am quite behind on the tutorials, I can do some things in the program and I recently completed my first quilt that I completely designed in EQ.  I also was able to use EQ to determine color placement for a few other projects.
 
medallion quilt designed in EQ

2021 Goals -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've decided to keep it fairly simple this year and maintain the things I worked toward this year.
Since I have no idea what 2021 will look like, I don't want to be too lofty with the goal-setting.
 
Goal: continue to make donation quilts
I don't want to set a number this year, but making quilts to donate is something that I enjoy doing so I want to continue.

Goal: Charlotte Modern Quilt Guild
I will be vice-president of my guild in 2021 which puts me in charge of programs.  We've committed to being virtual at least through June of 2021, so no specific in-person goals, but I do hope to continue to meet local quilters even if it's over zoom.

Goal: Online Quilting Community
I get a lot out of the online quilting community but it's also easy to over-commit.  I think participating without stressing myself out is a good goal.  Specifically, I want to participate in QALs, blog hops, and maintain a quilting presence on facebook and pinterest.  

Goal: EQ8
I'd like to continue to learn and use EQ for quilt layouts and designs.  

Goal: Use what I have
This wasn't a specific goal in 2020 but I was extremely good about not buying new fabric. I purchased 7.75 yards this year, though admittedly the fact that Island Batik sent me two amazing boxes of fabric this year helps me to not feel the urge to buy as much.  I really want to use what I have, be it UFOs, scraps, planned projects, or kits.  
 
Happy New Year, everyone.  May 2021 see the world fight, contain, and heal from this virus and all the direct and indirect impacts it has had on our lives and our world.
  


7 comments:

  1. Since I retired, I don't put the pressure of goals on myself anymore. I do what I can, and I just enjoy the time I can sew. I hope you have a great year as VP of your guild.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have had a good year, and you've set some good and reasonable goals for 2021. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a great year! Good luck with your 2021 goals - I must say I am impressed with the number of finishes you got in....crazy girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! You have been super busy ... very busy ... all while working and having Fire Monkey around! You amaze me! And encourage me!
    Happy Quilting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, Emily!!! Great job meeting your BHAG! I'll be interested in hearing what programs you come up with for your guild this year. Best wishes for a happy new year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on a very successful 2020 and good luck with your 2021 aspirations. With the year we've just had, setting generic goals seems really wise. Especially since we don't have a great timeline for when we'll be able to worry less about COVID infections.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that wildflowers quilt. It's very striking.

    ReplyDelete