Friday, January 8, 2021

My new purse

One of the Island Batik ambassador challenges in 2020 was to make a bag from a By Annie pattern.  I had always been rubbish at making bags but I realized I just never found the right patterns.  Annie's patterns have a lot of steps but they are very through and make sense to me.  I immediately wanted to make another, and I bought the Take a Stand pattern and materials/hardware to make both sizes.  I started with the smaller size and used some of my Island Batik fabrics from Lemon Grass.  I love it!


I love the dragonfly fabric in the color Marbles.  I used in the border of my medallion quilt and saved the rest the bag.  I am also in love with the bright fabric used for the strap and binding--the color is French Blue--and I love the Leaf Tendrils in Rain that I used for the lining.  The mesh and fold-over elastic are also a By Annie's product and are great to work with.  I like that they mean the pockets don't add weight or bulk at the seams.


It took me about three days to make, so this is not a quick project, but I love the results so much!  My next one will be the larger size; I think that will replace my current bag for taking along hand sewing projects.  This one is a good size for a purse and I will make it again.

This was actually a 2020 finish, I just didn't have time to post it.  

 Another thing I like about this bag--it stands up and opens wide!  See?  I'm just so in love with it!



14 comments:

  1. What a great bag, the detail and fabric choices make it look expensive and designer made. Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty fabrics and great finish on the bag, Emily! You are doing well on the 3D sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I am so glad you found a bag pattern you can enjoy making! It's gorgeous, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it. It looks to be the perfect bag for carrying a little less but being able to find it all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love by Annie patterns!! I seem to collect them more than use them though. Maybe a goal in 2021 is to make one of each of the patterns I own. Your bag is gorgeous! I love that lining fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such an awesome bag, Emily! Love the fabrics and it looks like a good size. I don't like large purses anymore. Funny how time changes or likes and dislikes, as I used to carry a really big purse! I'd just as soon not carry one at all, but sometimes you don't have pockets!! LOL I made a small crossbody bag by one of Annie's patterns several years ago. I learned a lot and need to make another! You've inspired me! I really like the mesh inside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your new purse. I really need a bag not too big but big enough for all my "stuff," I never thought of using mesh for pockets. The fabric is beautiful. I LOVE THE colors & dragonflies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So classy with the coordinating mesh and elastic! Love the added quilting and all the details, Em!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bag is very very pretty!!! Love the fabrics you chose!
    You're inspiring me to make it! (I already have the pattern!)
    Happy Quilting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK - this is really a great finish Emily. You did an outstanding job with the construction - it looks so professional. Well done! Love the colors and especially those mesh/elasticized pockets. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so pretty! I like the inside as much as the outside! Great job. Have a fabulous weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely bag Emily. Your fabrics are beautiful too. My guess is the bag has soft n stable in it to give it such good body for standing up. I've never sewn with mesh or fold over elastic. I've seen references to the elastic on websites but had no idea what I might use it for. Interesting that you use it similarly to seam binding. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terrific purse Emily! Her patterns are very involved, but very clear, and the videos really clarify anything don't they? I love the fabrics (of course).

    ReplyDelete
  14. What gorgeous fabrics! I loved reading about your experience with our pattern -- I'd say you're a master bag maker now! Your Take A Stand bag turned out beautifully. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete