Friday, March 31, 2023

Glow of Spring

 

In under the wire with a third Island Batik finish for March's It's All Up To You challenge.  I'm using the challenge as motivation to finish this year's teacher quilts.  I have four to make and three are completely done!  This beauty is for Ms. B, the director of and one of the teacher's at Fire Monkey's before school program.  She had his group when he was in Kindergarten!  

Her favorite color is yellow, so I set out to make some cheerful yellow flowers.  I went through all my Island Batik scraps and picked out all my yellows and golds.  The green is an always-available Foundation called Lemongrass, the background is solid white, and the flower center is tangy dotted fabric left over from one of last year's teacher quilts, though I don't know the name of it.  I love how it turned out -- it is very bright and looks like spring! Because the yellows make it almost glow, I named it Glow of Spring.


I'm not sure where I got this block, I don't remember if I saw it somewhere or what.  I do know I cut out all of the pieces with my Accuquilt and the shapes from the 8" Cube.  I quilted in organic wavy lines on the diagonal with Aurifil thread 2134, Spun Gold.  The batting is Hobbs 80/20 and I used Schmetz micrtoex needles for all piecing and quilting. 

The products featured in this post were given to me by Island Batik, Accuquilt, Schmetz, and Aurifil.

 

I cannot resist using the incredible skyline-view terrace from work for the backdrop of these photos.  Check out that city view!  (That's Charlotte, NC.)


Thanks, Island Batik, for the motivation to get these teacher quilts done early!  I've got one more that isn't quite done yet, but will be well before school starts. 



3 comments:

  1. Another beauty! Fun that FireMonkey is having time again with a former teacher. Love this design....it seems perfect for the right group of scraps that you had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very bright and vibrant. No teacher quilts for me for another 3 years. Those will probably be my last. Congrats on having 3 of the 4 done. That's progress!

    ReplyDelete