Friday, May 29, 2015

Finished! Goeff & Laura's Quilt

This one is a bit of an epic finish, because it was a UFO for so long.  As a wedding quilt, it is over 5 years late.  And I started it before they got engaged.  So to say I am thrilled to finish this is an understatement.


I'm not sure the picture does it justice, as I especially like the main print.  It ended up looking almost rail-fence-like, but that was not my intention.

Geoff and I have been friends since our freshman year in college.  Several years after we graduated, I met his then-girlfriend Laura one weekend that a group of us from college were hanging out in the booming metropolis of Westfield, Massachusetts.  I started making their quilt the week after that visit.  (Yup, I was that sure!)  I already had the main print and an idea of how to use it, and I decided that it would work for the two of them.  The colors in the main print were similar to the color combination on Geoff's website at the time, and it has a very Asian feel and Laura had just spent a year in Japan. The pattern inspiration is a bit hard to explain.  In Quilt Sampler magazine, each feature shop has an original pattern.  The quilt tester for this and several other quilting magazines did a variation of a pattern that I really liked, so I created my own variation of that variation.  How's that for complicated?!

I did the big push to finish this because I knew I would see the recipients over Memorial Day weekend at my college reunion.  Here are Geoff & Laura with the quilt, oddly enough in front of the dorm that both Geoff & I lived in as sophomores.  (Tallest building in the county!)

And just to demonstrate how late this was as a gift, here is their daughter Zoe, almost 3.  She's clearly so excited about the quilt, she's celebrating with jazz hands!
This is a Quarter 2 finish for the Finish Along, hosted by Adrianne at On the Windy SideClick here for my original project list for Q2.

This was also my May goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes.  I was goal-setter #62 at Sew BitterSweet Designs.  

My Button

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your epic finish!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your finish - it was well worth the wait!

    *Visiting as a member of the official 2015 Finish-Along cheerleading squad*

    ReplyDelete