Monday, August 31, 2020

Jelly Snowflake

Rose from Something Rose Made and I agreed to do another QAL together this year--the first two we didn't realize the other was doing, but this time we chose together.  After looking at a different things going on at the time, we decided on the Jelly Snowflake Mystery Quilt hosted by the Fat Quarter Shop.  Here is my snowflake:

I used the Glacier View collection designed by Kathy Engle for Island Batik.  This means it matches my Christmas Tree skirt that I made earlier in the year, though I haven't decided if I'm keeping the snowflake yet.  I love all the shades of blues in this collection--perfect for a wintery snowflake without being limited to Christmas.  

I didn't love the long skinny blocks in the original so I took a page out of Rose's book and did strips instead.  I chose to have mine radiate from lighter blues to dark navy.  Rose calls this being a QAL Escape Artist 😀  Rose's version, which she named Frosty Flake, makes an appearance on this post on her blog.


I did spiral quilting.  If I had it to do over, I'd do a slightly closer spiral, but overall I'm happy with it.  I set Jelly Snowflake as my One Monthly Goal with Patty of Elm Street Quilts.  My goal was to finish the top but I'm pleased to have a finished quilt.


13 comments:

  1. Nice job, Emily, and Rose!!! It's always fun to see other versions of the same design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finish Emily! I do love those blues, they can be out for a long time, not just the holidays~

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blues make this quilt so pretty. I like the way you tweaked the pattern a bit to your liking. I hope you keep it as a coordinating piece to your tree skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty, pretty, pretty!! Yes I really like your strips as it gives it even more zing:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. I like the ombre effect of the strips you chose to do instead of the blocks. I love the spiral as is, but I think if it bugs you, you could done inside the other. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily, this is a beautiful finish. So soothing. I love it!!! Maybe being a QAL Escape Artist should be a thing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun quilt. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The snowflake mystery is lovely!!! And you're not sure if you're going to keep it??? It goes with your tree skirt - so you need to keep it - at least to put on your couch at Christmas time! :-) but ... if you really don't want to keep it, I'm sure that there will be a zillion people waiting to take it off your hands!
    The Escape Artist QAL sounds like fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emily your Snowflake is beautiful; fabrics, layout and quilting! Perfection. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the wide spiral - I think when the quilt is washed it will be cozier with less quilting. But that is just me, I am not a fan of dense quilting unless it is one to be displayed on a wall. Love the strips you did in the narrow rectangles. - you and Rose are so much fun. Escape Artists though you are! I saw her version too - both are wonderful. I agree with Gail - keep the quilt since it matches the tree skirt. How pretty that would be!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yours looks great and I love your alternate block 4. Am finishing mine as my OMG September goal, and now want to make a blue one .... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This turned out really nicely. So fun that you made it with a friend.

    ReplyDelete