Friday, August 7, 2020

Stormy Seas: An Island Batik Challenge with Studio 180 Design

For our August challenge, Island Batik partnered with Deb Tucker's Studio 180 Design.  Each of us was sent one of her tools and had to make at least 16 units with that tool.  Tools were assigned randomly and I was sent the Diamond Rects tool.  This makes one unit, a diamond inside a rectangle, most commonly found in the Storm at Sea block.  Well, truth be told, I had never been tempted to make a Storm at Sea before, but as soon as I realized that was the best fit for my tool, I envisioned a sail boat in the center of a traditional Storm at Sea block.  I had a fat quarter bundle of Colorpop by Kathy Engle and the bright colors just screamed fun and child friendly.
Photo by K. Mellnik

Remember when I teased this sneak peak of brightly colored sailboats?  Now you know what I had planned!  The background is Coconut from the Neutrals collection; there actually isn't much of it in the finished quilt, as the corners are essentially snowballed to create the Storm at Sea block.  I named this Stormy Seas as a play on the traditional block.
This was my first time working with Deb Tucker's tools and it was great!  I'm not a perfectionist quilter. I don't try to be nor do I claim to be.  Deb's tools have you make slightly oversized units and trim them down--and the tool makes this not a chore.  I did watch the video tutorial for the diamond rects tool a few times and seeing it in use helped.  The Studio 180 Design website also has the instruction sheets as well as diagrams for left-handed quilters. 
The diamond rect units were easy to make and trim with the tool. The tool makes 5 different sizes.  I used the next-to-largest size as I wanted my blocks to be big enough to put a boat in the middle.  My layout required 24 diamond rectangle units, comfortably above the minimum of 16 for the challenge. 
I
I use painters' tape to mark each unit's placement

I used EQ8 to adapt the Storm at Sea block and to test my color placement.  I'm still learning the program but I was able to get a pretty good feel for the final quilt.   I used the design in EQ8 to help me with the color placement as I made the units--one of the hardest parts for me when they are not all the same.

Photo by K. Mellnik.  Knees by me.

I used Hobbs fusible 80/20 batting.  I quilted in organic wavy lines, hoping to simulate waves, with Aurifil thread color 1231, a lime green that matches the green in Colorpop.  I used Schmetz chrome microtex needles and love how well they go through the batik fabrics--and how long they last.

Photo by K. Melnik
Photo by K. Mellnik

Materials used in this project were provided to me by Island Batik, Deb Tucker's Studio 180 Design, Hobbs, Aurifil, and Schmetz.

I really wanted to photograph this with a boat but I don't have access to any boats.  I decided near water was the next best thing so I arranged a social distanced take-out picnic with a friend at a local nature park with a lake.  She's got a better eye for photography than I do, so she took the pictures of the finished quilt.
Photo by K. Mellnik

It's not a traditional Storm at Sea but I'm hoping the block comes through and I can't help but smile when I look at it.  I think the diamonds inside rectangles would make a really nice border so I'm excited to play with this tool some more to see how I use can the units.




13 comments:

  1. What a fun, playful twist on Storm at Sea! I love the bright, happy colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bright colors alongside the pond. The boats inside the SAS was a great idea, it will be a perfect quilt for a little boy whose parents decorate the nursery in primary colors. Great finish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute colors! Cute sailboats! Cute photos, Emily! You could link this up at the "Let's Make Baby Quilts" August link-up: https://mychellem.blogspot.com/2020/08/lets-make-baby-quilts-august-2020.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quilt! I love the inspiration, and the little sail boats are perfect on it! Perfect twist on a Storm at Sea quilt, and a great way to use theDiamond Rects ruler!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your quilt!!! So bright and cheerful!! And the added sailboats are a bonus! Fantastic use of the Diamond Rects ruler!
    Gord happened to come by when I was looking at your post and said, "Nice quilt and great looking knees." We laughed at the "Knees by me!" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable. Great job with the design, and great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the regular stormy seas but the sailboats are exceptional. What a fun quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup, the block comes through...you have a winner on your hands. Thats a great version and a great way to get the looks without all the work (I think).

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great quilt! I love the bright colours of this line, but the best is that you saw a sailboat inside the storm at sea block, and you NAILED it with colour placement and then quilting. The photo shoot was terrific too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun quilt! And, the sailboats are adorable! You fabric placement made a nice transparency effect. Stunning destination photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful colors...great job ..Missed you tonight on sit and chat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! A very fun and colorful finish. Love your use of color, I would have never thought to use that lime green as the border, but it works so well. Is this one a donation or is it living at your house?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! Your boat blocks are so cute and happy.

    ReplyDelete