Sunday, December 27, 2015

Name Change

I changed the name of my blog.

I started the blog solely to have a place for people to sign up for an I Spy swap.  I've used "Library Lil" as my online identity for years--it comes from a picture book I like.  But I've been feeling down on the name for a while.  I'm no longer a children's librarian; my name isn't Lil; the address also had NC it; and mostly it just wasn't what I wanted to be known as anymore.  So with a new year coming, I decided it was time to change.

I love dogwoods.  Mainly because they are beautiful trees. The dogwood is also the state flower of both the state where I was born (Virginia) and the state where I live (North Carolina).  (It's the state tree of Virginia as well, but not North Carolina.)  I've done at 3 quilts that feature dogwoods in some way, and there may be more. 

The Darling part comes from a family thing.  When I was a kid, I was upset that there was Mother's Day, and Father's Day, and at school we celebrated Grandparents' Day, but there was no kid day.  My mom solved this problem by creating my own holiday.  My favorite baseball player was Ron Darling, pitcher for the New York Mets.  (This would have been mid-1980s.) We chose his birthday, August 19th, as my holiday, and called it Darling Daughter's Day.  As I recall, the proper way to celebrate Darling Daughter's Day was to get a Frosty at Wendy's. My mom still occasionally sends me stuff or calls me on August 19th.  (Incidentally, as far as I know, my brother never had the same complaint, and never got his own holiday.)
And so, welcome to The Darling Dogwood!

No comments:

Post a Comment