Sunday, July 31, 2016

Finshed! Heart Quilt for Pulse

I set finishing my heart quilt for the Orlando Modern Quilt Guild's drive for Quilts for Pulse as one monthly goal, and I didn't think I was going to make it before the end of July.  I was a little over half done with the binding going into Saturday, and I didn't think I'd have much time to hand sew over the weekend.

But last night my MIL was with Munchkin and Husband and I went to a minor league baseball game.  I had the quilt with me to do the binding in the car on the way there.  We arrived at the game an hour early, so I decided to take it in with me and work on it before the game. So even though it was 6pm outside in the sun in July in North Carolina, I had that quilt on my lap and when the game started, I was sweaty and thirsty but I only had about 20 inches left.  Totally do-able to finish today! (I did not sew during the game, for those wondering.)

I'm really pleased with the way it turned out.  The pattern is Summer Love, a tutorial by Quilting in the Rain.  I added a few inches to either side of each row so it would get to the preferred size as requested by the Orlando Guild.  It finished at 56 1/2" x 51 1/2".  (I'm about 3 1/2 inches short.  Does that count as off a smidge?)


The solid is Kona Citrus.  It's very, very yellow.  I like it.  But it's a very yellow quilt.

The back is left over from the back of a quilt I made my friend Jen years ago. I was a little short, so I pieced it with some rainbow stripe that is leftover from the back of a quilt I made my son and a piece of the Kona Citrus.  I love the backing fabric and I really think it captures the rainbow look that the Orlando Guild wants in these quilts.



As mentioned, this was my July goal for the motivational linkup OMG hosted by Heidi at Red Letter Quilts.  (Goal setter #24)  This was also on my list of Q3 goals for the globally hosted Finish Along. And I will be linking with Julie's linkup for Hello 2016, Goodbye UFOs at The Crafty Quilter.




2016 FAL

3 comments:

  1. I can't imagine sewing binding on in this heat, but you finished! That's great! Perfect pattern for the cause. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ta-DA! You did it! Beautiful quilt, I love the yellow background and sure that it will warm hearts everywhere it goes. Congrats Emily:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun finish! Thanks for joining in the FAL on behalf of the cohosts!

    ReplyDelete