Sunday, October 7, 2018

Color Block I Spy

Several years ago, I made an I Spy quilt top inspired by a I Spy Ten Little Things, a Moda Bakeshop pattern.  I decided I wanted to do each block as a single color.  I like the way it turned out.


These are all 5" I Spy squares.  I used 2 different rainbow striped fabric remnants for the binding, so it has a lovely rainbow stripe around the whole quilt.


The quilting is just vertical straight lines.  I used gray thread, thinking that would blend best with all the different colors.


I found this as a completed top in a drawer after I made my list of PhD quilts (Projects Half Done) for the challenge with Quilting Gail.  Since it wasn't completed, I had to add it.  I am pleased to report that I have officially completed enough projects to earn my PhD IF I finish everything started in 2018 before the end of the year.  I'm not sure I'll make that stipulation, but if I don't, I'm pleased to know that I really did finish half of my pre-existing PhDs or UFOs.

My Helper




I happened to finish sewing the binding one of the days we were stuck inside due to Hurricane Florence. Quilts of Compassion was already anticipating a need for those impacted by the storm, even as those of us in North Carolina were living through it.  Since I was fortunate enough to just have a lot of rain and an occasional flicker of my lights, I decided that this quilt should go to those who were weathering the same storm I was but with a much more loss and devastation.


In addition to being on my list of UFOs to complete for my PhD (Projects Half Done) with Gail of Quilting Gail, this was #15 on my list of Q3 goals for the Finish Along.


5 comments:

  1. Great quilt for a good cause Emily! Love your little quilt holder - you're training him well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the colour blocking! It's a nice variation on an I Spy. Glad too you weren't affected by the hurricane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great little quilt and I love that you made each block one colour. Very nice rainbow effect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely quilt, love the stripy binding. I’m impressed you have half your PhD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a cute layout for a "I Spy Quilt" -- I have wanted to make one for a while. It's fun to see yours!

    ReplyDelete