Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Quilty Bucket List: Needle Turn Applique--Rin

Last spring and summer, I participated in the Rin Along hosted by Cheryl of Meadow Mist Designs and Cindy of Hyacinth Quilt Designs.  They were doing the pattern Rin by Carolyn Friedlander.  Rin is a needle-turn applique pattern, and needle turn applique has been on my quilty bucket list for a while.  I decided to sew along and make one block.  I finished my block in time to be part of the parade last July. Then the block sat unfinished.



I'm pleased to say it is unfinished no more!


I used a beautiful rainbow batik fat quarter for the rings.  The light blue background is the only fabric I bought for this project.  Once the block was done, I used batik scraps to make it bigger.  The first border and binding are left from a yard I bought at QuiltCon last year to use as binding for my Meadow Mystery quilt. 


The teal and pink 2nd border is an Island Batik print that I won from Laura of Slice of Pi quilts.  She had a giveaway for scraps from her beautiful scrappy lone star and I was the lucky winner! The colors of this fabric go so well with my ring fabric, you'd think I bought them together! 


The last two borders are leftovers from a quilt I made my college friend Jen years ago.  I remember buying the outer fabric (it has such awesome colors!) at a shop when I was living in Michigan for graduate school.  Scraps live forever!


I used crosshatch quilting.  I'm super pleased with how it turned out, and bonus for crossing an item off my quilting bucket list!  This will be donated to the Charlotte chapter of Project Linus.
helping Mom take photos
Rin was #1 on my list of Q4 goals for the globally-hosted Finish Along.  It was also on my list of UFOs to finish to earn my PhD (Projects Half Done) with Quilting Gail.



1 comment:

  1. What a lovely way to use the block as the centre of the quilt! Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2018 hosts!

    ReplyDelete