Monday, November 16, 2020

Pink and Purple Postage Plus

I am always looking for patterns that make good leader and ender projects.  One of my favorites is Postage Plus from the book Modern Plus Sign Quilts by Cheryl Brickey & Paige Alexander.  Last year, I made a version using I Spy scraps.  This year, I used up some of my Kona scraps in pinks and purples. 


The instructions have you make strip sets but since I use scraps, I use those instead.  It's a great leader and ender project!  My Kona bin can get really full and most of what is in there are pretty small leftover pieces.  I pulled out every shade I could find that was pink, purple, or in-between and used my Accuquilt Go! cutter to cut squares.  Then I just kept a little bin of them by the machine and paired the fabrics up randomly.

 

My version is much smaller than the one in the book and for this one I opted for a single background color rather than stripes.  The background is Kona Shadow.  I did not keep track of all the colors of Kona scraps but there are quite a few different colors in there!  I did wavy line quilting on a grid using pink thread.  I really like how it looks and sill use a wavy grid again.  With the squares, I wonder if I missed a good opportunity for organic orange peel quilting.  I guess I need to make another Postage Plus and give it a try!

Since this will go to a kid and is patchwork with solids, I decided that the back needed some novelty fabrics.  I had a few width-of-fabric scraps that I combined with strips of Kona in pink or purple in between.  This will be donated to Friendship Trays as a part of my guild's philanthropy project and is the second of three finishes needed for my One Monthly Goal with Elm Street Quilts



9 comments:

  1. That's a pretty little quilt that will make someone very happy and comforted. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous quilt, Emily! That looks like it would make a great Jack's Basket quilt, using all those 2 1/2" squares. It's going on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great leader/ender project! I love it!
    And don't you just love how the quilt builds without you thinking too much about it?
    AND ... to use novelty fabrics on the back for a kid's donation quilt is pure genius!
    Happy Quilting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely leader-ender project. I need to think about having one of those going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Emily, looks fantastic! I love how the scrappy postage stamp is front and center with less background! How you separated the novelty fabrics with the dark strips on the backing was genius! Thank you for sharing your version of Postage Plus!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thisis wonderful Emily - so, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete