Monday, February 8, 2021

Round Robin Round #4 -- Checkerboard

Here we are at the mid-point of the Stay At Home Round Robin.  Roseanne and Sue of Home Sewn By Us got to pick this round and they chose Checkerboard.  

 


This was probably the most straight-forward round for me.  The only decision I needed to make was whether to use a three-row checkerboard or a two-row checkerboard.  I did the math based on what I had before this round and a two-row checkerboard plus a 1" border after would give me a piece 32" square, setting me up really well for numerical flexibility in the next round, so two-row checkerboard it was!

I'm using Island Batik's Glacier View collection and since I've made two projects from these fabrics already, I'm dealing with leftovers at this point.  I wanted the checkerboard to be consistent and not scrappy so I used Sprinkles (white) and Navy, both Island Batik Foundations.  Then the blue border after this round is Blueberry, the same blue as the polar bear's background in the center.


If you are sewing along, be sure to link up with Roseanne and Sue at Home Sewn By Us.  Here is the complete schedule for the Round Robin.  Have more questions?  Gail has lots of answers that you can find here



13 comments:

  1. Great job, Emily! I love the way everything is coming together with your rounds! Don't you just love when quilty math works out?!! LOL It certainly makes life easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, this quilt is turning out so well. It's so pretty, and that checkerboard border really makes the center block shine. So fun seeing this come together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way this is looking. The checkerboard is perfect and this will be such a lovely quilt when all done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the value change for the checkerboard, plus the very outer plain border to provide a stop against the next round. Can't wait to see how this comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The black and white is a nice addition to the blue and white. Your SAHRR is looking wonderful ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your piece is looking so balanced! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Emily! Your navy & sprinkles checkerboard is stunning! Lovely contrast to the rest of the quilt, yet it fits in perfectly! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is looking so good! My round robin, which I have not shared, is giving me trouble. I, too am using scraps, and it’s becoming an issue! I’ll keep plugging away though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilt! These checkerboard borders have really made everyone's pop, especially yours! My hubs--who loves bears--would be def be in on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving your RR. The darker navy nicely frames the quilt and directs the eye back to that adorable bear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All these quilt in the SAHRR are so creative. I love your RR! May I ask how you made those flying geese? Looks like there is a big triangle in them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Emily! Ooh, I knew you were going to be using blue and white and I love how you explained how you chose two-patch. That pretty blue border after the checkerboard really pulls out that fabric in the center medallion. Brilliant. I'll bet your DH is loving how this is coming together (me, too)! Thanks for linking up. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Emily your checkerboard border is stunning. It just makes the whole project pop!

    ReplyDelete