Last year about this time, I saw a Quilt Along for a Snowflake Quilt. The pattern was by Fresh Lemons and the Quilt Along was hosted by Bernina. I liked the pattern, but knew there was NO WAY that the three week timeline would work for me
I had just hosed a swap of 2 1/2" strips of I Spy fabrics. I knew I wanted to make a pink & gray quilt, and this pattern was 2 1/2" strip friendly, though it wasn't advertised that way. So I cut up my pieces and set it out as a leader & ender project. The background is Kona Snow. Appropriate for a quilt of snowflakes!
Once I had all the blocks made, I decided I wasn't crazy about the original layout, so I played around and ended up with this instead. My layout meant I needed an equal number of pink and gray blocks, so I had to make a few extra gray blocks.
In addition to some straight line quilting, I decided to use a decorative stitch in bright pink to frame each of the big blocks. I'm happy with how this looks.
Usually I care that the orientation of my I Spy fabrics are as "correct" as possible. This block got me over that! There was no way to get everything to face the same way, so I didn't even try.
I generally back my Project Linus quilts with fleece, but someone had donated a large piece of minky and it fit the size of this quilt nicely. I love the feel of the minky, but working with it was more challenging than my normal fleece. First of all, it sheds when cut. And when hand-sewing the binding, I had a hard time catching the binding and the minky but not the front of the quilt. So if I use any again, I will machine sew the binding.
This was on my list of Q3 goals for the globally hosted finish along (goal #13).