Friday, June 28, 2019

Doggone Cute

Back in August of 2017, Ann of Brown Paws Quilting was Queen of Bee Inspired and picked the Doggone Cute block by Lorna of Sew Fresh Quilts.  Ann asked us to pick a dog who is important to us and choose the doggone cute block closest to that dog.  I made a block representing my dog, Ivy.  I liked it so much that I made a second identical block to keep, planning to make more dogs and put them all together.


Now, nearly two years later, it's finally done!  I made three other dogs shortly after making the Ivy block and had always planned to make at least two more.  But since I hadn't made the other dogs yet, I decided finished was better than bigger and put it together.  These are the large size blocks and each finishes at 12 x 18, so together they make a perfectly acceptable size for a small child. 


And here's Ivy with the finished quilt!  I think she approves.  I picked the color palette of yellow, orange, and red tones so it would be gender neutral--my Project Linus chapter frequently needs quilts that aren't too girly and I try to keep that in mind when I'm making something that I know will go to them. The binding is a mottled fabric with shades of yellow, orange, and rust that fit the colors.  The original block was orange because Ivy is kind of orange.  See the likeness?


The timing of finishing my Doggone Cute was actually great, because Ann recently submitted her finished dog quilt to the Albuquerque Fiber Arts Fiesta in the group category.  And she won second place!



photo and quilt by Ann of Brown Paws Quilting
I took Doggone Cute to my local Project Linus chapter at our June meeting.  It was bittersweet because it was our last meeting; my local chapter is closing.  Doggone Cute is my last finish to be donated to Project Linus.  I've been a regular member since 2015 and by my records have donated 63 quilts.  I'll continue to make and donate quilts for kids who need a quilty smile, probably directly to one of the dozens of organizations my Project Linus chapter supported.

An unsuccessful attempt at getting Ivy to pose with the quilt
This had been a UFO for almost two years, so it's fitting to my project for the UFO & WIP challenge hosted by Julie of The Crafty Quilter.  I'll also link with Tish of Tish in Wonderland for her next UFO party.  Doggone Cute is on my list of projects needed for my PhD (Projects Half Done) with Quilting Gail and was #11 on my list of Q2 finish along goals.




7 comments:

  1. Cuteness!!! Photo number 3!!! Great job donating sew many quilts, Emily, to children in need of comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute quilt! I'm sorry your chapter is closing, that's too bad. Thank you for all those quilts you donated; what a wonderful way to bless others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donating quilts is so satisfying isn't it. I'm glad you will still keep giving even if your chapter closes. The doggie quilt is a perfect boy one, so stinking cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It came out so great! Ivy does approve. I’m glad you were able to get it finished - such a cute quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That turned out really nicely! Love the colors and the quilting on it. I made a one block quilt, but always planned on making more at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your finish. 63 donation quilts is so awesome - just think of all that quilty comfort you have spread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute quilt! Some little boy or girl is going to be so thrilled with those doggies.

    ReplyDelete