Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Gray

Since it's spring, I'm working on finishing the quilts for Fire Monkey's teachers at the end of the year.  This year, I'm making quilts for the specials teachers as well (music, art, P.E., etc) since they frequently get overlooked, and all his specials teachers have been at the school since he started.  Knowing that this was a lot to make, Fire Monkey started getting the intel of favorite colors in August when the school year started.  Each day, he'd come home and tell me if he learned of a teacher's favorite color.  When he told me that Mr. S, the music teacher, had a favorite color of gray, I admit I was a bit flummoxed.  Gray?  Gray doesn't really feel like a color.  But, ok, if that's what he likes, that's what he'll get.


I played around with designs that would look good with just two colors, black and gray.  I did a lot of designing as I was working on last November's Storm at Sea challenge with Island Batik, so that pattern was on my mind. I really like Snail's Trail's with Storm at Sea, so I alternated the two.  

The fabrics are both Island Batik solids, which I love.  I cut everything except the diamonds-in-a-rectangle with my Accuquilt and used my Diamond Rects tool from Studio 180 for those units. The quilting is a large spiral with gray thread. While this is perhaps a bit colorless for my tastes, I do like the contrast and am pleased with how it turned out.



9 comments:

  1. That is a very pretty quilt, Emily! I'm so impressed that you make quilts for the teachers each year. That is quite an undertaking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful quilt. You managed the gray requirement just right. I also love the "movement" in it for a music teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, It’s a super quilt and the contrast is striking. Great for a man! Making a SAS/Snail’s Trail combo quilt is on my bucket list. There are so many options!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is stunning, Emily, and so great for a guy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome finish, Emily!!! He's going to love this gray quilt!!! I'm hosting TGIFF this weekend, so make sure and link this beautiful finish up there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it a lot. I love gray and black together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that quilt, Emily and I'm sure his teacher will also! Those two blocks produce such a great design! I have both of them and have only used the Snail's Trail. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emily, this quilt is quite striking!!! The contrasts between the colours and the different blocks are great! It'll be perfect for the teacher that likes grey!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you have a pile of quilts to have finished by the middle of May. Love this quilt, it's very bold and elegant. Congrats on a wonderful finish.

    ReplyDelete