Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Time in a Bottle -- Spring Time

Welcome to day #2 of the Time in a Bottle blog hop!  Carol of Just Let Me Quilt challenged us to make something with hourglass units.  As soon as I saw the theme, I knew what I would make.  I had some leftover economy block units (square in a square in a square) from my Bloom quilt that I had been planning to turn into flowers.  Hour glass blocks turned on their side would make excellent butterflies for this garden!



I did decide that the hourglass blocks needed a butterfly body in the middle.  I have the butterfly die for my Accuquilt cutter so I used that body but cut it in half and then shaped it a little, since these butterfly blocks are only 3" finished.  


 

All fabrics are Island Batik.  The flower centers are leftover from the Precious Pinks bundle and everything else is from the Tickled Pink collection from a few years ago--I made butterflies for that quilt, too!  The quilting is wavy lines to make it look like the butterflies are in flight.


Be sure to check out all the great projects today!


March 15

MooseStashQuilting

Becky’s Adventures in Quilting and Travel

The Darling Dogwood -- That's me!!!

Quilting Gail

Time 4 Stitchn

Beaquilter

 

 

31 comments:

  1. Emily you are so clever, and I love your little quilt. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hourglass butterflies are so pretty and go so well with the flowers. Love the colors of the quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt! I love the butterfly blocks, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow..You have outdone yourself xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one amazing quilt! I love the economy block flowers and the butterfly idea with hourglass bodies is a great idea! Thanks for sharing your lovely finish with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea using the hourglass blocks to make butterflies! Clever! Your quilt is beautiful and makes me think of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! I actually was thinking of doing something with butterflies for my project, but couldn't quite make it work in my mind. Your butterflies are a great addition to the flower blocks, and together they make a beautiful project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt is so precious and is perfect to think of spring. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun way to use up extra blocks! Making butterflies out of hourglass blocks is genius!
    Perfect bonus quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A pretty springtime quilt, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hourglass blocks do make fabulous butterfly bodies! The quilt is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree, those hourglass blocks needed the cute butterfly in the middle! A lovely, Springy quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet little garden you've quilted! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is SO pretty, Emily! And, your other quilt is gorgeous too! This definitely is a perfect spring quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like how you used the hourglass blocks for the butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is adorable with those butterfly hourglass blocks...love it! The quilt just screams "Spring" and will brighten any room. Great job on this challenge, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adorable quilt, and how clever to turn the hourglass blocks into butterflies! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a perfect hourglass quilt. I love the conversion to butterflies and the use of the leftover blocks. Thanks for hopping along!

    ReplyDelete
  19. how fun to turn them into butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this those butterflies are so cute

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great fabrics, and love your butterflies. Very pretty quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that you've turned hourglass blocks into butterflies. It's a super cute quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your gorgeous springtime garden.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful modification to the hourglass block Emily

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are so creative to make beautiful butterflies our of the hourglass blocks! It' a beautiful tribute to spring! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh wow, Emily! What a great idea to turn them into butterflies! They look so cute around the flowers! xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Pretty and Spring, beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  28. A very pretty finish! The pink and teal is a lovely color combination. And you used up leftovers, that really is a win/win finish.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a beautiful quilt. I love the concept of the butterflies from hour glass blocks.

    ReplyDelete