Monday, December 26, 2016

car and train carriers

Munchkin likes cars & trucks.  We generally have some small trucks with us whenever we are out.  I've been wanting to make him a car carrier for a while and finally made one for Christmas.


I meshed 2 patterns together: this tutorial from homemade by Jill and a pattern that was in the Winter 2012/2013 issue of Simple Quilts & Sewing magazine.  The outside fabric came from my local quilt shop recently and the inside fabric is part of a fat quarter a friend gave me.  The solid is Kona Clover and the road is felt.


While I was at it, I made one for our friend Buddy whose birthday is 2 days before Christmas.  Buddy is about 10 weeks younger than Munchkin.  The 4 of us parents were friends before the boys were born; timing was just really lucky!  Buddy is crazy about trains.  His version has a train print on both the outside and the inside, also with the Kona Clover as the solid.  I swapped out the road for train tracks.  I did a Google image search for "felt railroad tracks" to get some ideas of how to put together the train track and I basically did it off a picture.

I like that the boys have matching toys but that they reflect individual preferences.
outside
inside, without cars or trains

We had some fire trucks for Munchkin, so he got his loaded up on Christmas morning.  It was a hit and he stopped opening presents to line up his new trucks on the road.

Buddy's dad told me that his was a hit, too, and that it will be the go-to toy to take out to lunch or dinner.  Travel and eating out will likely be the primary uses of ours, too.  I wanted something that could take trucks on the go. 

This was goal #10 on my list of Q4 goals for the globally hosted Finish Along
2016 FAL

2 comments:

  1. These are just ingenious! I really love them and I'm glad the boys do too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous idea ! No wonder it was a hit. Hope it helps keep the cars tidy....Congratulations on the finish and thank you for participating in the 2016FAL, on behalf of all the hosts!

    ReplyDelete