Monday, December 5, 2016

I Spy a finished quilt!

For close to a year now, I've been working on an I Spy quilt for my niece.  I asked her parents (my brother and sister-in-law) if I could make her a quilt for whenever she moves into a big girl bed.  I wanted to do an I Spy quilt very similar to the one I made while I was pregnant that is now in Munchkin's room.


And here it is!  There are 192 I Spy fabrics.  I kept a spreadsheet so that I would not repeat an item.  There are some that are similar, such as a bird and an owl, or a sailboat and a pirate ship, but there is no actual repeating of main objects. The sashing is Kona Coal.


Her birthday is this week and she is arriving for a visit this weekend, so I get to gift it in person.  (She lives in OR and I live in NC, so this is a big deal.)


Her favorite color is purple.  So is mine!  I had a big piece of a purple batik that I used for the back, and I pieced it with a leftover bit of rainbow batik and a pinkish/purple batik that I honestly picked because it was the right size for the space I had left to cover.


I am super pleased with how it turned out and I can't wait to give it to her!  I hope she likes looking for stuff half as much as I do.  In making this, I realized that the quilt I want to make for my bed is an I Spy quilt!  Husband agrees, so that will be a project in 2017.  If I think this twin size is big, a queen size will be huge!  But it's fun to look forward to.

This was #1 on my list of Q4 goals for the globally hosted Finish Along.  I will also be linking up with Julie at The Crafty Quilter for her Hello 2016, Goodbye UFOs. I've been working on this all year and it's great to cross it off the list!

2016 FAL

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely bright and colourful quilt. It must have taken a while to amass all those different fabrics and it has come together beautifully. Your niece will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ISpy some great fabric in there and could look at this for hours. I have some with the red whales, so cute! Have fun this weekend, it will make a great video!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on this finish!! I know you have been working your tail off to get it done it time. I'm sure she is going to LOVE it! I spy is such a great way to keep little ones entertained and with 192 different choices...this should come in super handy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's GORGEOUS!!! She's a lucky gal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great finish, and a fantastic gift! Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2016 global FAL hosts.

    ReplyDelete